Sunday, October 9, 2011

Can One Man Make a Difference?

If you’re like me, you have one or more electronic devices that were designed by Steve Jobs.  These incredible entertainment and connectivity devices most likely have made your life easier, more fun, more convenient, more colorful and more creative.  
That's why, during the many memorials given to honor the legacy of Steve Jobs, Apple Innovator, this past week, I took notes.  I wanted to capture his words on subjects which he knew so much about...
On Innovation, he said:
"Innovation distinguishes a follower from a leader."
On Intuition, he believed:
“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life,” Jobs said. “Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”
On Death, he surmised:
"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life."
"No one wants to die.  Even people who want to go to heaven, don't want to die to get there. And yet, death is the destination we all share.  No one has ever escaped it. That is at it should be.  Because death is very likely the single best invention of life.  It's life's change agent.  It clears out the old to make way for the new."  
On Getting Fired, he reminisced:
"You can't connect the dots looking forward.  You can only connect them looking backwards.  So you have to trust that the dots will somehow will connect in the future. . . .Believing that the dots will connect down the road will give you the confidence to follow your heart even when they lead you off the well-worn path.  And that will make all the difference. . . .Getting fired from Apple was the best thing that ever happened to me.  It freed me and I entered into one of my most creative periods of my life.  You've got to find what you love..."
On Children, he felt:
"When you have a child, your heart is forever outside of your body."
For me, each of his quotes are not only memorable, but unforgettable.  They challenge me to make little changes in the way I speak or love or think so I can look forward to the big result of being remembered as someone who made others’ lives better.

I hope you are encouraged today by Steve Jobs' words today,

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment