Sunday, August 9, 2009

Column One: Draw a Line in the Sand

Along with five other memorable and accomplished men, Rod Woodson, a defensive legend for the Pittsburgh Steelers was inducted into the 2009 Class of the NFL Hall of Fame this past weekend. (Click the link to view his acceptance speech.)

His story is inspiring, his football achievements are impressive and he's a really humble guy. But his comments in an interview after the ceremony were the words that prompted me to write this column. He said, “Four years ago, I quit drinking because I have young kids and I can’t ask them to do something I won’t do.” He knows, like I know, that athletes and alcohol, especially in high school and college, go hand in hand. And as an athlete, coach, or even more importantly as a parent, you possess a lot of power to influence those around you. And if you haven't noticed, this young generation needs and wants to know it is possible to effectively and happily live above the temptations and pressures of this culture.

This year I celebrated my 31st year of sobriety. One day, like Woodson, I drew a line in the sand.

And like Woodson, I became more courageous to stop doing something--that was fun and popular by the world's standards--when I realized that I had young people watching me, counting on me. They were begging for role models who would stay sober or stay married and say, “Follow me" without being afraid to be a leader who makes it to the end of the race.

If you are a coach, a teacher, a boss, or parent, one of the most powerful tools that you possess is the ability to draw a line in the sand in an area of your life where others are counting on you. If you can say, “no” to something that everyone else is doing, you'll give others strength. If you can say, “never again,” you'll give others hope that they too can do something difficult.

Little changes do turn into big results...one decision, one day, one line in the sand at a time.

Be encouraged,

Becky

6 comments:

  1. Hi Becky ~ Thankyou for doing this. I have followed your site for a while and hope to do a coaching session with you in the future. For now, this works for me and I can't wait for what lyes ahead. I most admire your honesty, which helps me to be honest with myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, I totally agree that our choices can impact another person. Intentional living is important. I choose not to drink. I am choosing to be honest and loving. Blessings...Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Becky, thank you for the encouragement today. You have no idea - that is just what I need to hear as I'm struggling in a certain area too. I've followed you and your writings, messages for over 3 years now and I'd even wanted to book a coaching session with you all the way from Vietnam! Will get around to that when God provides but in the meantime, what you are doing is blessing me all the way, across continents and may God continue to use you or His glory. God bless. H

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you are writing this!!
    love you Becky...Debbie Petersen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Becky! Love your new BLOG!! I met you in Virginia in the late 90's...I have been reading and sharing the Daily Bible with friends ever since. I was a new christian then and you introduced tools to me that changed my life...thank you!!
    I totally agree with you regarding the topic of forgiveness. About 6 years ago I forgave my husband and it saved our marriage! It took a lot of hard work, prayer and daily forgiveness but GOD was faithful!!
    Thanks for all you do to help others!! I am so glad I found you again because I have drifted from my daily time and exercise this summer...I need help getting motivated with both!
    "keeping the faith" is not easy alone!
    your sister in Christ...Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen. God, search my heart let me know what parts of my life need to have a line drawn. Lift up the holiness standard in this generation of young Christians....

    Gracie from L-ville, KY! :)

    ReplyDelete