Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Day Montage

My husband, Roger, and I were in Washington, DC this Memorial Day Weekend.  We had never seen the World War II Memorial, so off we headed early on Saturday morning.  We had no "official" plans but as soon as we arrived, we quickly observed numerous state pillars surrounding the beautiful pools and fountains of the newest memorial in the national park.  Roger's father had valiantly served in WWII, so we decided to look for the Ohio pillar--our home state--and take a picture of it.  Slowly we circled the entire rim of the monument, between the Pacific and Atlantic entrances, reading the inspirational quotes of generals and Presidents who served our country during that time.  The loss of almost 500,000 men and women during that war was staggering.

When we arrived at the OHIO pillar, a group of WWII veterans from the Dayton area were positioned in front of their state memorial while family and friends took their pictures and honored them.  Compelled by overwhelming gratitude, Roger and I moved toward the men and began to shake their hands.  I include their picture in this post because they represent ALL of the parents and grandparents--men and women--who selflessly served our country, preserving our freedom and liberty.  With each hand I shook, tears welled in my eyes.  The last man took my hand and kissed it, which made me laugh!  I felt loved and so did they.

Please send or give your love and appreciation this Memorial Day to those who served our country and to their relatives who loved them and perhaps even lost them as they gave their lives for us.

Be encouraged,

Becky

PS More photos of the WWII Memorial, Lincoln and Korean War Memorial are posted on my FB page: BeckyTirabassi.

No comments:

Post a Comment