Sunday, July 25, 2010

You don't have to look too far to be inspired to change!

Each week on my blog I share a current affair that is intended to inspire you to make a little change in your life and achieve a big result. This week, I was reminded that you don't have to look very far to be inspired!

My mother's birthday was on Friday--she plays golf three times a week, greets visitors at her church, drives friends to the doctor's office, paints original art, and plays the organ. For her birthday, she requested no gifts, but that donations be made out to one of her favorite charities, "His Chaplain for You/Paws for Cause" -- an organization that empowers volunteers to feed the homeless and includes hospital visits by therapy dogs to those very lonely and ill. It made me proud to be her daughter, fortunate to have such an inspirational mother.

On Saturday, my husband and I attended the wedding of a young woman I met on an airplane about three years ago. At the time, she was about to graduate from college. She was struggling to make important decisions about where to live, work, and who to date! We struck up a conversation that continued long after our flight. We met weekly, then regularly after that first conversation--and I became a mentor to her and her friends. Eventually I wrote a fictional book, loosely based on our relationship titled Emails to My Daughters, attempting to describe how today's young generation finds it so difficult to navigate our culture. The wedding was absolutely beautiful--I was honored to be a guest at her lovely wedding.

The weekend culminated with a 5K, 1K and Pet Costume Contest in a large Southern California park with hundreds of families and dogs who came out for to support our friend's non-profit organization, His Chaplain for You/Paws for Cause. In fact, the Orange County Register covered the Gala with its TV celebrity appearances, silent auction, Gala, and more! When all the canine-craziness was over, all the proceeds went to help the homeless and hospitalized. My friend, Roy Gerber, is the founder and a true inspiration! (For more about Paws for Cause and their homeless ministry, view this short YouTube reel.)

If you are like me, you have been inspired by a special friend or family member. Don't let their impact in your life go unnoticed. Let them know what little change they made in your life that has had a big result. Take time today to write them a note of encouragement, give a donation in their name, or better yet, volunteer alongside of them to help the veterans or homeless in your area.

Be encouraged,

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment