Sunday, January 24, 2010

21 Things...

This week, Rick Newman’s article in US News and World Report listed 21 Things that financially struggling Americans have learned to live without. Stating that sometimes their sacrifices have been painful, he believes many Americans have also found them beneficial.

Based on Newman’s findings, the first three “things” Americans have become willing to give up or get rid of include (1) monthly payments (they can afford but cannot sustain), (2) window shopping (which leads to impulsive spending), and (3) bells and whistles (“extras” added to automobile, technology, or appliance purchases).

In my opinion, giving up the fourth item on his list took the least amount of effort and had the most immediate potential for creating valuable benefits such as extra income, more space, and a simpler life.

What is it?

Over the past decade, most Americans have over-purchased every kind of product, collecting unused or unnecessary items, and stashing and storing them until they are dusty and forgotten. Clutter! We simply have too much clutter in our closets, car trunks, office desks, extra bedrooms, or storage units.

By taking as little as 15 minutes a day (with a garbage bag in hand) or ½ day each month (that includes a trip to a resale shop), you can compile reusable items such as apparel, small appliances or books and GIVE them to GoodWill or The Salvation Army. Eliminating clutter will create extra space and cleaner counters/closets in your home while providing help to others. Or you can save on monthly fees by unloading your storage unit and having a garage sale, keeping or giving away the proceeds. And if you're really entrepreneurial, you can post and sell almost new or never used “big ticket items” items on the Internet for a small profit (or at least make your money back).

Since removing clutter from your life requires such little change and produces such a big results, why not just do it?

For more of Newman's 21 Things, click here.

Be encouraged,

Becky

1 comment:

  1. Earlier this week, I found the draft of a letter dated August 2009 which was to handle an urgent legal matter. I never sent it. -- It was a wake up call that my life was not as in order as I thought it was, that I had deceived myself. It exposed that giving in to disappointment and despair resulted in worsening the situation. I pulled out the Change Your Life Daily Bible, and my Women of Faith bible study. Then I remembered several years ago the good results I'd had when using the daily planning format of the Journal by Becky Tirabassi - ordered one THAT DAY. I then set immediate goal to finish donating clothing I'd inherited last summer, and to FINISH, yet again, reducing and reorganizing the amount of things that I had in storage. AND TODAY, when reconnecting with Becky, ta da, I found this blog and article! -- I am honored and blessed by my Heavenly Father showing His love and care for me in this small "coincidence." In Christ, Cindy

    ReplyDelete