Monday, December 21, 2009

It's not too late to go back...

Some of us take longer than others to complete something we’ve started.

That’s my story.

I was a typical freshman at Bowling Green State University in northeastern Ohio in…1973. Yes, I began my college education at 18 years old—over three decades ago! Unfortunately, I was a binge-drinking alcoholic teenager—and I couldn’t admit it. The alcohol took over my life and soon, my grades dropped and I eventually drove away from campus after a shame-filled night, never to return…until 2005.

Let me explain the thirty years in between.

At the age of 21, I immediately got sober after a dramatic spiritual conversion. I was thrilled to begin a new life without alcohol and drugs and I became a youth worker. I got married, had a baby, wrote 15 books, became a Life Coach and traveled across America as a speaker. But I had never finished my undergraduate degree.

In the summer of 2005, one of the women whom I coached (who worked at BGSU) mentioned their new online program designed especially for students who had previously attended college and never finished. That was me!

Taking one class at a time, I slowly navigated the world of online long distance learning (Blackboard, LiveJournal, Skyping, Twitter, etc.). By 2009, I had become a senior and applied for graduation. Having just turned 54 years old, I couldn’t fathom taking four more years to graduate, and with the help of my family and co-workers, I arranged to disappear from my "real life" and take 22 credit hours during two summer sessions and complete my course work.

This weekend I graduated from Bowling Green State University with a Bachelors degree in Liberal Studies with a Communications emphasis. My 88-year old mother, brother, sister, husband, son and daughter-in-law trekked the country to watch me “walk,” though we were treated more like royalty. (Even a few of my high school friends joined in the celebration.)

Unexpectedly, a few months ago, because I am (somewhat of) a poster child for those who continue their education later in life, I was asked to speak at the December 19, 2009 Arts and Sciences Commencement.

In a wonderfully unique way, I spoke both as a peer to my fellow graduates and a parent/youth worker/recovering alcoholic.

My story is full hope. What you’ve left or lost can be retrieved or regained if you will persevere.

I encourage you, especially at this time of year when new beginnings are on everyone’s mind, to make a little change in your life—take just one class, research a field of employment that you’ve always wanted to pursue and see what it might take to move toward it, read one chapter of a book until you finish it, lose one pound of weight a week until you reach a healthy weight for your height, or attend a recovery meeting and start counting your sobriety birthdays (I will pick up my 32 year chip on January 28, 2010).

Little changes always lead to big results if you won't give up.

Be encouraged,

Becky

3 comments:

  1. Becky, congrats, that is amazing. You are an inspiration. That was a lot of very hard work. I am so happy your family was able to be there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Becky,
    I am 2008 Graduate of BGSU too. Just would like to let you know that your commencement speech of December 19,2009 inspired me so much. I just hope more people can have more hope than fear in their lives.I was very touched by your story and will very much look into the books you have written. Thank you so much and all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky:

    Congratulations. I know that was not an easy task, but we know prayer and determination carried you through.

    I can relate. Even though I got my BA twenty five years ago. Many setbacks and family responsibilities prevented me from pursuing a masters degree. I am doing so now while working Full-time. Not easy as this is a very rigorous, accelarated 10 month program to be completed July 11, 2010.

    God has really been carrying me through this one as the program is very challenging academically. All I can say is to God be The Glory. I give Him all the Honor and Praise for doing exceptionally well in the program. I cannot take any credit I owe everything to Him.

    May God continue to Bless you and multiply your ministry as you encourage others.

    ReplyDelete