Sunday, May 2, 2010

Moms Who Drink Too Much

This week, 20/20’s Elizabeth Vargas took an in-depth look at “Moms Who Drink Too Much,” citing the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse’s statistic that one third of the alcoholics in this country are women. If you find that number to be surprising, click here for clips from the ABC’s 20/20 report and other links/info regarding women and alcohol.

Most importantly, the show brought awareness to a growing trend—moms, not just teens or adult men, are suddenly confessing to drinking problems. Ironically, one of the key stories was about an author who touted mommy-drinking as social and fun:

"To fans and readers, Los Angeles-based comedian and author Stefanie Wilder-Taylor was a breath of fresh air. Her laugh-out loud books, "Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay," and "Naptime Is the New Happy Hour," and her blog, "Babyonbored," seemed to champion a little liquid courage to help moms through their day." But one morning, Wilder-Taylor, found herself in an emergency ward with a severe hangover.

She is not alone. At alarming new rates, moms are being cited for driving carpool while intoxicated, hiding wine in their coffee mugs in the morning, and entering 30-day treatment centers for addiction to alcohol. The article cited the following contributing factors in mom's lives as reasons for their turn to alcohol: "Regrets and expectations often push women deeper into their addictions, experts say, and the double-standard and stigma associated with alcoholism often keep a woman's disease under wraps."

As detailed in my book, Keep The Change, I describe the way out of any addiction or recurring problem in four steps. The first step in change is awareness. Sometimes it takes intervention from friends or family and sometimes it takes hitting bottom. But it is a fact: denial will never elicit change; it will only delay it.

The second step is where the power to change is released and it occurs the moment we admit to ourselves and others that we have a problem. Change is free to happen when we admit that we can’t change on our own—that we need the help of God and others. Once we stop hiding, we can start healing!

The third step in change is to submit to a day-to-day action plan (whether it requires in-or-out patient recovery, daily meetings at AA or other sobriety groups, and the scrutiny of a support team). The most effective way to achieve change is with a specific, detailed plan--not by embracing a vague, haphazard or general concept.

And the fourth and final step in changing your life is with accountability. Accountability is the best (and most fulfilling) way to achieve life-long sobriety. (I know, I’ve lived with my sponsor for 32 years and I have 32 years of sobriety to prove it!)

If today’s blog strikes a chord in your life—perhaps you, a friend, or a family member might have a drinking problem—I’d like to suggest that you make a few little changes that can have big results.

First, click here to take a short alcohol quiz developed by experts. If you answer “yes” to four or more questions, then you’ve taken the first step toward change: awareness. Second, consider getting help for yourself or someone you love—it begins with a conversation that can actually save a life. Next, check out AA online. It won't hurt you to do this! Then be willing to go to a recovery meeting with someone who needs support (Believe me when I say that it is very difficult to go to a recovery meeting alone--going with someone is a gift you can give them). Finally, get educated on the issue of alcoholism—visit websites such as the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse for both research and recovery information for adults and students.

Be encouraged to make a difference,

Becky

3 comments:

  1. I watched that episode of 20/20 that you speak of here. There was a time when I would have considered myself an alcoholic. (Many years ago), but have found relief with the help of a God who loves me and a support system of friends and family. The Lord has given me all the tools I need.

    My life has taken many turns and brought me to a place, I would have never dreamed I would end up. Teacher by trade with 16 years of varied experience, I now teach GED prep, Personal Development and Character/Ethics classes to incarcerated men.

    My goal in the class is to get these men to understand that they have many good character traits and qualities as I guide them in a process of finding their own potential. We touch on many things in my classes, especially in areas of making change and heading in the direction that will lead to them becoming the best version of themselves possible. Though I am not allowed to share my faith, it is difficult to hide at times. Godly principles are the foundation of my classes. Many of the men know that I am a believer in Christ and ask questions and share their own thoughts. I share as much as I am able and trust the Lord with the outcome.

    I absolutely love the four steps as you have laid them out here. As I was reading and jotting down a few notes, I realized these steps, or a variation of them, are what I use to help the men to make change. Being true to themselves and seeking real TRUTH in their own lives is crucial.

    Only having 10 weeks with the men in my Character/Ethics and Personal Development classes keeps me on my toes. We meet four days per week and our focus is off of self and on acceptance of others. I enjoy these classes so much and have learned much from the experience.

    You have given me a clear, concise, format to teach the steps of making "real" and lasting change. Thank you! I heard you on the radio program the other morning, which led me to seek more information about you. Your website and blog encourage me so much. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to common folk like me:) You are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, I just wanted to let you know that I posted a question on you "Ask Becky" blog also :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the encouragement and feedback! B (FYI: I answered your post at Ask Becky).

    ReplyDelete